Sunday, May 1, 2011

Another week gone by already?!

What is it about this time of year that makes it go so fast? I don't even know where the last week went. I suppose overall it was pretty run of the mill.

The weekend, however, has been busy, busy, busy. Friday I got a call that the physics club needed a new host for the party that night because the original host got sick. With much wailing, I agreed. I had to wail a bit as I was having a heart attack thinking about how the ENTIRE house was a disaster area! Huge mess. Every room. Plus, I need to go to the grocery store because I had NOTHING to feed these people. Nothing. It's not an exaggeration. Luckily, the original host had already purchased desserts at a bakery, so that really saved me. I just had to go pick it up. The house itself took quite awhile, but it was nice to have it all picked up before the weekend started.

The party was nice. It was really more of a gathering. Not so much party-animal type happening. The boys enjoyed getting to stay up way past bedtime too. 

Saturday we bought lots of stuff we needed for the great outdoors. Wood for trellises and raised vegetable beds. Ferns (Lowe's had them on sale!), we actually are putting at least one of them inside. He is very full and has a life of his own so I named him. His name is Herbert Nininger. (Fans of Curious George will laugh at that.) Spray paint for the wicker chair. Fence posts. Mulch. And a decorative metal piece for the house. 

Matt made his bean trellises and he also mowed the back yard. I tore out some grass and mulched a new planting bed by the fence. It really made that area of the yard look so much better. I also spray painted the wicker chair a sunny yellow. I plan to blog about that on Domesticated Nomad once I find or make a cushion to go on it as well.

And today, we had church. Then Gabe was invited to go to a friend's brother's birthday party at the roller skating arena. Carter was allowed to have a friend his own age at the party so he wouldn't feel left out from all the big kids, so Gabe got to go along. He had fun. It was only his second time roller skating and he's doing really well. Then the DJ called for the races. So anyone 10 and under could line up for the race and Gabe tells me he's going to do it. Now the kid spends half his time on his bottom from falling, and now he plans to race? I thought this was going to end so badly! I asked if he was sure. Dangerous mother territory. You want the kid to make his own decisions and try things, but sometimes you know the failure is just not worth it. He was sure, so I let him go. He was only half way around when the winner crossed the finish line. (Gabe was skating his best ever though!) Oh, I was so worried about what he'd do. But he was determined. He just kept skating. The DJ started saying things like, "Look at him go! Way to finish strong! Give him a round of applause!" so that was cool. He really wasn't upset that he came in last. He says he'll just try again next time. I can't tell you how very proud of this kid I am!

No comments: