Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Here's the scoop

I am now a MOPS mommy. I wasn't sure about it, but a friend invited me to try it out and it was actually nice. It falls right during school for Gabe so I can drop him off and not worry about him and they have childcare for Malachi and he loved it. A whole morning to hang out with other women...it was nice. Malachi enjoys being out places, so we have also added to our schedule library story time and Play Pals which is just a bunch of outdoor type toys set up in the gym at the rec center for preschool age kids to play with. It's nice during the winter.

Yesterday the boys were playing with their stash of Mardi Gras-type beads and Gabe told me to pick one. I selected the green one. He stood back and looked at me and said, "No, you need the pink one. It's more fashioner." (He meant fashionable.) I wore my fashioner pink beads for most of the day, even in public, but unfortunately they are cheap and I accidentally broke it. Oops.

Gabe's tantrums have hit an all time low (high? whatever...I mean they are frequent and worse than ever). We are trying everything we know, but we have no idea what is triggering it. He is all settled in to the apartment, has all his stuff. He likes school and is making friends; we have talked to his teachers to be sure he is fitting in and with the kids, not off by himself. We are just very confused right now. We have even considered trying martial arts since it is supposed to teach courtesy, self-control, etc. but the only place that teaches 4 year olds focuses on having fun. I want him to enjoy it, but I don't want a kid who hasn't learned to focus and control himself, but now knows how to really punch or kick. We are open to suggestions. We looked into therapy, but we can't afford it. It just has to stop because Chi is picking up on it. Plus, he's such a great kid when he's not acting up. I want to enjoy him without worrying about when the next explosion is coming.

No comments: