Thursday, May 13, 2010

Brick walls

I'm not sure why I even try. I want to be a person who stands up for what is right, who tries to make a positive impact on the world, who doesn't let things that are blatantly wrong go unchecked. But really, does it matter? Trying to get through to people anymore is like talking to brick walls. There doesn't seem to be much room for rational conversation anymore. If a person doesn't agree with you, they just refuse to speak to you. We don't have a free exchange of ideas anymore.

To top it off, so many people are trying to dig in and promote hatred in an effort to protect their own bigotry. It's all too much. We have become a society of selfish, self-absorbed, greedy, anti-intellectual brats. No one can step up and take responsibility for anything. And on top of that, we can't even count on a sane voice of reason from the religious groups because people are bastardizing everything Christianity is supposed to teach us. How is it possible that God is on the side of the people that say, "Get the &**%$ out of my way, I've got mine so screw you, I'll trash the hell out of this place because I won't be here when it's time to pay, if you are different than me, you must be bad"? And yet they convince themselves that they get to be this way because God blessed them.

It's really all too much. I don't know why I keep trying. It just makes me so angry and sad. But God help me, I still keep talking to brick walls...

No comments: