Thursday, October 18, 2007

Merrily we roll along

Well, I am not going to have to worry about gestational diabetes. I had a 3 hour glucose test today. Fasting for twelve hours and then drinking a bunch of sugar is not fun. I felt awful during the first hour, then I improved, but when I was finally able to eat lunch, I got the shakes. I wound up sleeping most of the afternoon. But they said the numbers were looking really good, so all should be fine.

Otherwise, I've had a reasonably quite week. I was with some junior high girls at a retreat all weekend, so I took Monday off. Tuesday and Wednesday were easy days and then I didn't go to work today (though I did do some work) and tomorrow is my regular day off. Of course, there will be a crazy week sometime in the future to make up for the restful week that this has been, but that's all part of being a youth director.

Gabe is well. He's been a bit stuffed up and I wish we could get him over that. It's nothing serious, just not comfortable for him. But he refuses to go to sleep at night so that is not helping him any. I wish he could just be a normal sleeper, but he's as difficult as ever.

He has had a growth spurt, and I am expecting another one due to the way he's eating. He maybe grew a bit taller, but his real growth was mental. He can do simple math now. He told me that he had two ears and if he took one off he would only have one ear. He can also look at some green beans or something and just say how many are there without counting each one out loud. Then, he discovered on his own that blue and red mix together to make purple and went on experimenting to make sure than no other combination also made purple. It is so fun to watch him grow. The ironic thing is that he got the math thing when he was with me, not Matt, and the art thing when he was with Matt, not me.

Matt says his week has been productive. He had to practice his conference talk for his group and they only came up with minor changes, so he will give the talk to a wider audience next week, but otherwise he is ready. The conference is the beginning of November in Tampa. I was tempted to go with, but he's not expecting to have much free time so I don't think it would be that much fun. It's possible he'll go to a conference in Spain this spring, so I think I'll hold on to my vacation time for that.

No comments: