Monday, March 7, 2011

Trouble with faith

Over the years, I have had lots of concerns about what is going on with Christianity. Recently, some one misinterpreted what I said, not maliciously, but bent it into a narrative that they had already developed. This is not a response to that person, but just an attempt to explain why it is so hard to deal with these issues, no matter how you try to go about it.

It bothers me when people try to disguise their message by not admitting who they are. "Conservative Evangelicals" as there is now no other name because rather than confront why some people shy away from the types of denominations these churches sprang from, they called themselves "nondenominational." This makes it sound nice; like there is room for everyone. But their real motive was to drive a particular message, without regard to what the Holy Spirit may be moving in another person. Fit into the narrative or be condemned is where the outcome wound up going. Maybe it wasn't by intention. If you know there is something about your message that pushes people away from God, maybe the problem is your understanding of God's message and the way we are called to witness. 

To confuse matters, you can't just say all nondenominationals are conservatives because springing out of that mess is the emergent evangelical movement. Emergents focus more on God's grace and love. In some areas they don't go as far as more progressive denominations, but they are getting closer and closer. The conservative evangelicals call the emergent evangelicals heretics. Yeah. Really.

My first brush in life with conservative evangelicals (CEs from now on, my own abbreviation, no one else will know what you mean) was in college. I was walking alone across campus on a Saturday morning. All of a sudden a group of people with high tech camera equipment descend on me and yelled, "Do you know who Jesus is?!" It was morning and I'm a smart ass so I replied, "Yeah, I might have heard of him," and kept walking. They kept blocking my path (I'm not a morning person so this was really ticking me off.) "Don't you know who Jesus is?" They pushed again. The tone was really condescending which is part of the reason I have never forgotten this encounter. I responded with the usually litany about who Jesus is and confirmed I believed. Without knowing me at all, they assumed I was not Christian. That always bothered me. Why would you open a conversation that way? Why would you spend your whole life assuming you knew more than those around you? They asked a series of questions, feeling more like an Inquisition than anything else. Get these right or we won't let you leave! it seemed. Finally they wanted to know how I witness the gospel. "Through actions and love and not by attacking people with video equipment. Good-bye." And I pushed my way out of the little circle and went on my way. 

I have so many problems with this. CEs have all these Biblical arguments for acting the way that they act. Unfortunately it is all utterly simplistic and formulaic. Do this. Say this. Believe this and presto - you are saved. It's a heck of a lot of me needing to do something in order that God will then do something. And while I think this is totally off base, the truth is it is wicked easy! I get to have control over the whole process. Woo hoo. It doesn't demand an critical thinking or moral reasoning skills at all. So, I get why this is so appealing to American Christians. We are, after all, lazy thinkers.

The trouble is, God makes it clear (if you read cover to cover, story to story and not just pick random verses from the Bible) that you can't do any of it yourself. You can't make a decision. You can't do good works. You can't save souls. We can't find a way to go up to God, God always comes down to us. God does it all through grace and nothing I can do will change that. The Bible even points out that the ability to have faith in the first place is a gift of God. I can't "decide" to have faith. This is why I am not going to judge God's plans. I don't know what happens when we die, but I doubt I am "saved" and Gandhi is not. If that's the way God works, I think I'd have to tell God to let me trade places with Gandhi because he deserves heaven more than I do. But CEs limit God. Gandhi didn't believe in Jesus, so too bad for him, done deal. Really? He lived a life that was the epitome of what Jesus called for but some would claim he knew nothing of God. It's ridiculous. It requires effort to not think to believe that.


Religious thinkers (and lay people) used to understand that the Bible was simply a tool for learning about God and having a greater understanding of how we should attempt to live our lives. No one ever thought the thing was literal. Every single reading of the Bible is an interpretation. And the Bible itself intentionally holds interpretations because there is not supposed to be one simple, formulaic answer. And that's what the CEs don't get. But they also put up walls, calling anyone who puts care and love above dogmatic rule, heretics. It is exactly why most people believe all Christians are highly judgmental. It's why there is so much religious strife. They are so convinced they are "right" they don't need to hear from anyone else. And if we used our own moral reasoning skills (which I think are God-given in the first place) CEs may be overly concerned about getting something wrong. Gasp. The horror. As if trying to be overly extreme on Biblical teaching hasn't lead to wrong thinking either. I was actually once told that it takes more faith to see all the scientific evidence of when and how the earth has developed and the life on the earth has developed and still take Genesis literally. I don't think so. I think it takes more faith to realize we don't get to have all the answers neatly summed up and still believe there is a higher power. Because if Genesis isn't true, that persons faith pulls apart at the seams. Mine doesn't. That person cannot engage with anyone who presents differing views because they cannot handle questioning their faith. It tends to lead to attacks on people.


I think we only get it completely wrong when we don't think or engage, when we think God is easy or simple to understand, and worst of all, when we harness God for our own objectives. Religion should be what sets you free, free of your fears and shortcomings, to do what God needs done on earth - the free and unconditional expression of love. Being a voice for the voiceless. Standing with the outcast. Caring for the forgotten. If your religion is based on strict dogmatic thinking as the point, then that religion has already failed in its purpose. Even the Pharisees eventually got it right. (You won't find it in the Bible. They held to dogmatic thinking above all else and Jesus said they were wrong. But I recently learned about their history after the fall of the temple. They actually became protectors of the same message Jesus preached. Though, not of his divinity, they remained Jews.) Right thinking or even right living isn't the point. Care of others, thinking beyond yourself, is more of the point. Of course, I could be wrong... but I'm okay with that. 

2 comments:

Andi said...

Hey Jen! I never read my gmail email...I don't know why considering I'm not smart enough to know how to make all of my blog comments go to my yahoo. Sad, I know.

First of all, I'm not nondenominational, I'm Southern Baptist (not that you were saying that.) However I am VERY conservative. And I'm evangelical. Of course, you weren't saying I was a CE and I'm not saying that either...

I have to address the Ghandi comment. I do not profess to know all there is to know about Ghandi, but I do know that if he denies Jesus Christ as lord of his life, it doesn't matter how "good" he is, he's going to hell. I don't like to think about that. It makes me itch. But, I know God is God. I don't understand Him, I never will, but you can't dismiss that there is only one way to heaven, and that is through Christ. We may want to say that we don't want to think a loving god is sending Ghandi to hell, but the reality is God is only calling those who He calls. I don't know who He will call or why He chooses some and not others. I just know all fall short and none deserve salvation, but God in his mercy and grace called me. I don't get why. It was nothing I did.

Here's the deal: If God has called someone, they can't deny Him. He would not be God if man could choose to deny the Holy Spirit's call on their life. So, I don't think I'm limiting God by saying some will go to hell, no matter how good or loving we as the world perceive them. He calls who He calls. That is what makes Him God.

So. God is impossible to fully understand. I agree the Bible was given as a tool to understand who He is and how I'm to behave. I also agree that you can't take random verse. But if you look at verses in context of the entire Bible, you can use those verses to show who God is. I am passionate about memorizing scripture. It is God breathed. I am to write it on my forehead and talk about it when I wake up and when I'm at dinner and I am to engrave it on my children's hearts.

Oh, and in case you didn't notice I get very passionate if anyone takes a scripture out of context, or misrepresents scripture. I have gone to more than one minister if they said something I didn't understand or disagreed with. Not to gripe at them, but because I'm passionate about truly understanding all there is to understand about God. I will never get it all. He is too big for that. But I know the more I know of Him the more I will be like him.

So. As you said before, I can't say enough. I can't make it all clear. I just trust that God will take all of my foolishness and use it for His good. He's merciful that way. Thanks goodness.

Thanks for the challenge to see God more clearly and remember that I am to show Him to others through my actions and how I treat others.

God bless you, dear internet friend!

Your sister in Christ,
Andi

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

I think your comment strikes at the heart of what I think is so wrong with Christianity. It has become a club wherein you have to do certain things in order to be a member, and membership in the clique is the only thing that counts. This fulfills some of our baser desires as humans. We want to fit in, and more than that, we want to be in the in-crowd who is "right" We want to dominate.

Jesus turned things on their head because he said, hey, you know all that stuff about how you all know exactly what God wants? About how you have to act and be and believe so that you are in the in-crowd? Yeah, we'll you guys are all completely wrong and really messed up. (Obviously, I'm paraphrasing.)

Religious Conservatives of all types, sorry, are more like the Pharisees than the disciples. If believing they held the "right answers" was wrong in Jesus' mind then, why is it right now? We presume way too much.

What is so wrong with hope? I don't know what happens to Gandhi or other good people who aren't Christian, but why would you close them off and not hope that God's redemption is more powerful than anything we can imagine? If we say death is not the end, why would God's power stop there? If I believe God can do anything, then why can't I hope that those who deserve his love and grace receive it even after death? It is more Christian to hope than to assume if you aren't in the club, you get to suffer eternally. It's the horrible side of humanity that would relish that as many do, and still if you itch, then you understand that something you are holding onto isn't jiving with God's message of his unconditional love and mercy.

Yes, God is God, but that doesn't mean YOU know what he is or isn't going to do. Faith, hope and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.

God has seen us and identified us and loved us. Beyond religion, beyond sex, beyond culture. He claimed person after person in the Bible who did not subscribe to the strict teachings of the their time, and they were held as examples to us all. The first to name God was Hagar, who wasn't a Jew. Elohim, the God who sees me, he gave her identity, not as a Jew, but as his child. Jesus does almost the same thing with the Samaritan woman at the well. He knows her. And to be known is to be loved. He demands nothing of her, and it giving her identity that makes her follow Jesus.

Jesus also did not ask us to "believe" in him the way the modern use of that word is. Translations over time and understandings of words over time have changed. Jesus asked his followers to trust him, to act on his behalf. He never actually said "to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so" as the dictionary defines it today. Also, Ishmael was promised a great nation under God as well. They were not Jews or Christians, they became Muslims. Belief in Jesus is not a tenet of Islam, but yet we know that God created that nation. There is no way to understand the ways of God. That is the point. All we can do is live out the calling we are given and hope.

Andi, I see God's grace and mercy shine through you. I just wish you had more hope and trust in His justice - his ability to redeem all. I don't live in a black and white world. All the world is a shade of gray. I'd be surprised if God made this nuanced world and expected us to a absolutists. Jesus wasn't an absolutist either.

Thanks for the conversation, my inter-friend.