Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bits and Pieces

Duke of Wellington statue to which the Glasgweegians added a traffic cone hat. Outside Museum of Modern Art in Royal Exchange Square.

I read somewhere that when you spend too much time focused on photographing a trip or event you actually inhibit your ability to create memories of it. Matt and I always did have the philosophy to enjoy an experience first, and remember to take pictures second. I suppose that's how I'm operating at the moment because the last few outings I didn't even think to take out my camera.

I'll try to better sharing photos though since I do know it's a great way for you all to share the experience.

I'm a little homesick. It's easier not to be when I am out and seeing new things, but when I'm cooking dinner not in my kitchen or doing laundry or falling asleep alone, these are the moments when it's hardest. But that said, I'm doing okay and enjoying much about my time here.

Over the weekend I met up with my friend Becky who is from the area and she showed me around the city center, and a bit of the west end. She also got me into the library so I could see where the things I would likely need are located. We can't get in without a student ID, so it was kind of awesome that I got that help from her. It was really nice to catch up as well.

Yesterday I went into town on my own and wandered a bit. I was going to check out the Necropolis, but I wanted to find a good map of Glasgow first so I went to George Square and didn't find a map. Oh, well. I wandered over to Royal Exchange Square and went into the Museum of Modern Art or GoMA as it is called. It was a lovely museum. I really enjoyed a couple pieces and plan to go back for another visit soon. I then met up with my roommate who was nearby shopping and helped her in her hunt for shoes. That didn't work out either. I never did make it over to the Necropolis, but that's fine. It will be there another day.

Today I have decided it is a work day. Classes have not begun and I can't even register until Thursday, so it wont' be until next week that I feel settled with a schedule and routine. But I have some writing that I want to get done. So I did a load of laundry and will soon start working.

Matt asked me what sorts of things are hardest to adjust to, so here's a list of a few things:

  • Doors need keys. If I lock the house door, I can't get out without using the key. I suppose that helps with not locking yourself out, but let's pray for no fires. However, the windows don't have screens so I guess that's a quick way out. ;)
  • Tickets for everything! Single fare on a bus? Take a ticket. Taking the subway? You'll need your ticket not only to get in, but also to get out (have to swipe it both ways. Apparently this is to cut down on litter. I explained our token system, but that didn't make sense to them). Riding the train and about to get off at the next stop? Here's your ticket.
  • No hot water. Since there are not water heaters with standing hot water in most places, you turn on the hot water tap and it's just as cold as the cold tap. It will eventually warm up but not in time for hand washing. This is why we have an electric shower. It's sort of like the on-demand systems in the US, but a little different. 
Oh, and I've had a few questions about the election aftermath. The "riot" in George Square was not as big as it's made out to be. It was just some hardcore people on both sides yelling a bit, throwing a few things, lighting a few flares/fireworks, and singing songs at each other. It was over in a few hours. Most people here on either side are completely embarrassed about it and had hoped that everyone would accept the results with grace. The vast majority has accepted the outcome with grace and dignity. Some of the photos shared, in an effort to stir resentments, were actually of the the London riots of a couple years ago. So, be skeptical. I'm perfectly safe here. No worries.


No comments: