Thursday, September 25, 2014

Breakfast of Champions or er, um, Some People

So, I am now a registered student. That's a step in the right direction. I just wish I had a course schedule. It's so weird how I can't just log and do that sort of thing. Different system than the US for sure.


Yesterday I wandered around with Katie (she is also here from CMU). We walked to the West End and back. Saw Kelvingrove Park and a bit of Glasgow University (another major university), and had lunch at Brew Dogs. The 5AM Red Ale was the best beer I've had since arriving. Not that I have had so very much, but it was the best flavor. The draft beer is interesting because they have to pump the taps. It looks like a lot of work for a beer. The food was good, but really I've noticed all the restaurant food is a bit pricey. I think I will have to limit how much I eat out (or at least find the good cheap take out places. :) ).



Had the classic breakfast at the Royal Scotsman. So what I took for a Scottish breakfast, I have since been informed was truly an English breakfast due to the lack of blood pudding or haggis and also lack of a potato scone. Um, it was thick, heavy, and overmuch for me no matter which country wants to claim it. I won't be doing that again. In case it's not understood by the picture, the breakfast included an egg, toast, bacon (but it's more like Canadian bacon), sausage, baked beans, and half a warmed tomato. I don't know. They really like baked beans here. It's strange to me, partly because they don't have the same rich flavor beans have in the states. At least they gave me brewed coffee! Tea reigns supreme here and that is delicious. However, the predominant coffee -- instant coffee -- is not really coffee. :(

Hmm. That sounds as if I'm just complaining. Actually, I'm having a nice time. I think I was always skeptical of the food situation before coming. Different strokes and all that. 
 
  

No comments: